With access to social media tools like Facebook and Twitter, people around the world can connect and interact with their family members, friends, and communities (both near and far) within a virtual space.
This digital forum of communication and entertainment promotes the extension of personal networks and helps maintain strong relationships within them by increasing our perceived proximity to the people we care about.
There are many benefits for older adults living in retirement communities and long-term care centres to use social media on a regular basis:
- Decrease feelings of isolation
- Provide users with the abilities to share narratives about themselves
- Post pictures and videos from their daily lives
- Read updates from other users
- Participate in free video calls with loved ones
- Play games with others
To continue reading the original posting of ETAG’s article, please visit www.retirementhomes.com